Chat With Us

    Master of Teaching (Secondary)
    Go to Charles Sturt University
    Charles Sturt University

    Master of Teaching (Secondary)

    Charles Sturt University

    Charles Sturt University


    Australia, Port Macquarie

    University RankQS Ranking

    Key Facts

    Program Level

    Master by Course Work

    Study Type

    Full Time




    Wagga Wagga

    Program Language


    Start & Deadlines

    Next Intake Deadlines11-Nov-2024 14-Feb-2025
    Apply to this program

    Go to the official application for the university

    Duration 2 year(s)
    Tuition Fee
    AUD 25,840  / year
    Apply Date 14-Feb-2025
    Next Intake 11-Nov-2024

    Master of Teaching (Secondary)


    You'll be ready to change lives as a high school teacher with the Master of Teaching (Secondary) from Charles Sturt University. Our online master's degree is for those who already hold an approved undergraduate degree and qualifies you to teach one or more subjects to secondary students and support their social, emotional, intellectual and physical development.

    You can complete this degree online in just 2 years of full time study to become a nationally qualified secondary school teacher. Placement can be done within 60 minutes from where you live, Australia wide, and a selection of subjects are offered in Session 3 so you can either fast track your degree or spread your study commitments across the year, adding further flexibility in achieving your qualification.

    Designed for students from diverse backgrounds, our online Master of Teaching (Secondary) builds on previously acquired knowledge and experience. You'll be qualified to teach subjects related to the curriculum method studied (major), based on your previous tertiary study. You may add a second teaching area (minor) if you've completed appropriate undergraduate study. < dl>

    Advance your understanding of teaching processes and outcomes

    As well as high-level practical competence, this secondary teaching master's provides an in-depth understanding of theory and research findings, and enhanced skills in interpreting, applying and conducting classroom research.

    Study in the digital age

    You can study your secondary teaching degree online full-time and part-time, to complement your work and lifestyle commitments.

    Learn from nationally recognised leaders

    Charles Sturt University's dedicated teaching staff have made substantial contributions to research, policy and curriculum development over many years.

    Gain practical experience

    With 60 days of work placements, you will have gained significant professional experience by the time you graduate. 

    We're here to help

    Benefit from the friendly, personalised support and academic assistance Charles Sturt University offers, including continual contact with your subject coordinator throughout work placements.


    Entry Requirements

    Applicants for the Master of Teaching (Secondary) must meet the following admission requirements to be assessed:

    1. Completion of a relevant undergraduate degree (and, if applicable, appropriate postgraduate studies [AQF Levels 8-10]) that includes at least a major study in one secondary teaching area of the secondary school curriculum.
    2. A Major Study is study undertaken for an equivalent to a total of three-quarters of a year of full time higher education study (0.75 EFTSL), usually comprising sequential discipline study undertaken over three years. In most programs, this equates to at least six units with no more than two at first year level and no fewer than two at third year level.
    3. Meets the NESA discipline content requirements.
    4. Have a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 4.0 (Pass) or above in their prior undergraduate studies.

    Applicants who do not meet the above criteria on initial assessment will be offered a place in the Bachelor of Teaching (Secondary) where they can work towards the Master of Teaching course requirements. Students who complete their first session, completing four subjects (equivalent to one session of full time study) in the Bachelor of Teaching (Secondary) and now meet the Master of Teaching (Secondary) requirements, can transfer from the Bachelor of Teaching (Secondary) across to the Master of Teaching (Secondary).

    Students are assessed for and need to enter with a First Teaching Area (major) and may have additional teaching areas/specialisations that can be first teaching areas (major) or second teaching area (minor). Teaching areas must be approved by the Course Director.

    Technology and Applied Studies (TAS) can be approved as a Teaching Area. It is recommended that students have a First Teaching Area and can then be assessed to add a TAS specialisation. These Teaching Areas include; Engineering Studies, Food Technology,Graphics & Multimedia, Industrial Technology and Textiles Technology.

    Students who have been assessed to include Teacher Librarianship (have completed an ALIA approved course) as an additional teaching area having another First Teaching Area or second Teaching Area, need to check with future employment sector about employment positions and opportunities.

    Any students wanting to have Music as a Teaching Area can have this assessed to be an approved Teaching Area.

    Note: The Graduate Entry Bachelor of Teaching Secondary Course Accreditation requirement, requires final professional experience placement to be completed in Australia.

    English Program Requirements


    With a master's degree in primary education, you'll graduate qualified to teach children from kindergarten to Year 6 in government and non-government schools, and you may go on to pursue leadership roles such as lead teacher, assistant principal and principal. This postgraduate degree provides a distinct advantage in the job market and lays a strong foundation for future professional development.

    • When you graduate, you'll be ready to make your mark in careers such as:

    Fee Information

    +estimated annual tuition fee for a full-time study load

    Plus Student Services and Amenities fee
    Scholarships and financial aid available if eligible

    Tuition Fee

    AUD 25,840 

    How to Apply

    The process to apply to study with us is simple, just follow these steps. 

    Step 1: Choose your course

    Choose a course from the list of courses available to international students. Each course lists the fees for the course for that year. 

    Make sure you change the search filter to 'international'. This will ensure courses available for international students to study will display.

    Step 2: Check the entry requirements and application dates

    All of your course entry requirements (academic and English) can be found online.

    If you have not reached the level required for entry to your chosen course, there are other pathways you can follow.

    Higher Education Application Dates

    Semester 3 2023 Semester 1 2024 Semester 2 2024 Semester 3 2024

    Last date to submit offshore applications 

    15 October 2023 22 January 2024 20 May 2024 23 September 2024

    Last date to submit onshore applications 

    24 October 2023 26 February 2024 1 July 2024 28 October 2024

    Last date to submit applications for course changes/transfers 

    29 October 2023 26 February 2024 1 July 2024 28 October 2024
    Orientation week commences 30 October 2023 26 February 2024 1 July 2024 28 October 2024

    Teaching commences

    6 November 2023 4 March 2024 8 July 2024 4 November 2024
    Census date 27 November 2023 24 March 2024 29 July 2024 25 November 2024

    TAFE Application Dates

    Semester 1 2024 Semester 2 2024
    Last date to submit offshore applications  20 November 2023 17 June 2024
    Last date to submit onshore applications  22 December 2023 24 June 2024
    Teaching commences 1 January 2024 1 July 2024
    Census date 11 March 2024 11 August 2024

    CDU International College

    Semester 3 2023 Semester 1 2024 Semester 2 2024 Semester 3 2024

    Last date to submit offshore applications 

    25 October 2023 22 January 2024 20 May 2024 23 September 2024

    Last date to submit onshore applications 

    1 November 2023 26 February 2024 1 July 2024 28 October 2024

    Teaching commences

    6 November 2023 4 March 2024 8 July 2024 4 November 2024
    Census date 27 November 2023 24 March 2024 29 July 2024 25 November 2024
    Step 3: Apply online or through an agent

    Applications must be submitted online through our application portal. You’ll need a valid email address to create your online account. Once you have started your application, you will be able to save it and resume it later. There is no application fee when you apply online. 

    You can lodge a direct application. However, there may be restrictions on your geographic location. If you are not able to submit a direct application via the application portal, then apply through one of our registered agents.

    Option 1: Direct

    Submit your application to study at CDU via the online portal.

    Option 2: Agent

    We have authorised representatives in many countries, and you may use their services to assist you in the application process. Education agents are generally able to help you with your visa application as well as your university application.

    Please select your country of nationality to find our other overseas or external representatives.

    When applying for your course, ensure that your application form is completed as an incomplete application may delay the application process. You’ll also need to provide and label correctly all the required documentation below:

    1. Passport copy showing all relevant information
    2. Proof of English language proficiency test
    3. A well-written Statement of Purpose (Single) or Statement of Purpose (Family)
    4. Certified copies of all academic transcripts, award certificates including grading systems information and English translations (whenever applicable)
    5. Resume
    6. Other supporting documents.


    We offer an exciting and generous range of scholarships to support international students coming to study at CDU. More information on available international scholarships can be found on our international student scholarship page.

    Apply for Credit, Advanced Standing or Recognition of Prior Learning (RLP) (if applicable)

    Please indicate in your application if you will be applying for advanced standing based on previous studies and submit the following documents:

    • Certified academic transcripts of your previous study along with unit outlines (and certified English translation, if required). 
    • Completed HE113 Application for Exemption form.

    View more details about Advanced standing at CDU.

    The University may ask for further documentation if required at any time of the application process. Once your application has been submitted, you will receive a confirmation email with a reference number which will allow you to track the status of your application. Remember to include this reference number in all correspondences with the University about your application.

    Certifying documents

    What is a certified document?

    A certified document is a copy of an original document that a qualified person has cited and confirmed as correct and legitimate. When you need a document to be certified, you must have both the copy and the original with you.

    Who can certify my documents?

    The person who certifies your document/s must be contactable by telephone during normal working hours.

    Your documents must be certified by one of the following authorised officers:

    • Any CDU staff member
    • Any manager-level staff or higher from the Institution the academic document has come from
    • The official records department of the Institution that initially issued the document/s
    • An Australian overseas diplomatic mission and an Australian Education Centre
    • The Universities Admission Centre (UAC)
    • A Justice of the Peace (JP)/Notary with a registration number
    • An accountant - must be a member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia, or the Australian Association of Taxation and Management Accountants or be a Registered Tax Agent
    • A CDU-registered international agent
    • A bank manager, but not a manager of a bank travel centre
    • A credit union branch manager
    • A commissioner for declarations
    • A barrister, solicitor or patent attorney
    • A police officer in charge of a police station, or of the rank of sergeant and above
    • A postal manager
    • A Principal of an Australian secondary college, high school or primary school
    • A medical practitioner

    It is important to note that you (or immediate family members) cannot certify your documents, even if you or they belong to one of the categories listed above.

    How should the authorised officer certify each document?

    The certifying officer must print the following text on all pages of the copied document:

    'I certify this to be a true copy of the document shown and reported to me as the original.'

    They must also include their name, address, contact telephone number, profession or occupation or organisation, and the date, and then they must sign the document.

    The certifying officer should also include the official stamp or seal of the certifier's organisation on the copy if the organisation has such a stamp.

    In addition to the above, a Justice of the Peace/Notary must also print their registration number and provide details of the state in which they are registered.

    Documents certified by a Justice of the Peace without a registration number will not be accepted. To find a Justice of the Peace in your area, check the public register available online from the NSW Attorney-General's Department.

    Charles Sturt University

    Master of Teaching (Secondary)

    Charles Sturt University

    [object Object]


    Port Macquarie

    Similar Programs

    Other interesting programs for you

    Find More Programs