It is located 150 km north-west of Melbourne – the state capital - close to the geographical centre of the state. The Aboriginal residents of the city are the Dja Dja Wurrung (Djaara) residents.
The languages of these people are Dadja wurrung and Ngurari-illamwurrung, both of which are related to Kulin nation. The area of Bendigo is estimated at 287.4 km2, on which lives a population of over 111,000 people called “Bendigonians”.
The dominant nationalities in the city are English and Australian, with minorities of Irish, Scottish and German and others who are considered not to be significant.
The area used to be as a sheep station, but it was changed in 1851 into a boomtown which is the largest in the region on the back drop of discovering gold.
The discoveries in the city concentrated the Victorian gold rush, which, in turn, lots of migrations from every worldwide destination came to it, especially from Europe and China.
From 1853 till 1891, Bendigo was formally known by the name Sandhurst because Bendigo had been one of the biggest gold-mining economies in the east of Australia during 19th century when the revenues generated at that time are used nowadays in the city’s Victorian architectural heritage.
The name “Bendigo” came from a local shepherd, who was known for boxing, “so given the same nickname as the most popular Englishman. Abednego William Thompson’s nickname of “Bendigo” by which he was publicly known; such was his fame that a local shepherd as he was skillful boxer, the city was called Bendigo in his honour.