The overall objective of the Communication and Media program is to guide students through the critical steps of developing media literacy and enriched, practical understandings of multimodal communication-enabling them to cultivate expression, to portray narratives and arguments, to conduct and reflect research using contemporary tools.
We expect that, as a student and/or graduate of the Communication and Media B.S. program, you will exhibit the following:
- Professionalism: Students will sharpen professional skills used by top communicators in every professional field.
- Academic Excellence: Our students work on sharpening their academic knowledge in a variety of communication fields, such as with videography, and sound-applying research, planning, writing, editing, and producing works through each of these media.
- Commitment to Growth and Development: Our students are passionate about gaining communications skills across a range of contemporary media, qualifying them for positions anywhere in the marketplace.
The program provides skills that enable students to communicate effectively using all types of verbal and visual techniques in the contemporary media environment that is prominent both within the fields of the Arts and Humanities and within the culture at large. While students will learn a wide range of skills and knowledge, we specifically aim for our students to meet the following learning outcomes:
- Students will demonstrate the practical use of the processes and tools of communication media (i.e., hardware, software, and networks).
- Students will demonstrate the ability to use empirical research methods.
- Students can explain conceptual perspectives on communication media (i.e., being able to see a wider historical and social context), including ethical dimensions.
- Students will be able to apply critical frameworks (including identifying and resolving communication design problems).
- Students will demonstrate the skills needed to write and edit verbally and visually (including graphics).
- Students will demonstrate the ability to design documents of all types (written and digital media) within constraints and with regard to economic, environmental, social, political, and ethical concerns.