Chat With Us

    Bachelor of Social Work
    Go to Southern Cross University
    Southern Cross University

    Bachelor of Social Work

    Southern Cross University

    Southern Cross University


    Australia, Lismore

    University RankQS Ranking

    Key Facts

    Program Level


    Study Type

    Full Time


    On Campus

    Course Code



    Gold Coast

    Program Language


    Start & Deadlines

    Next Intake Deadlines10-Mar-2025
    Apply to this program

    Go to the official application for the university

    Duration 4 year(s)
    Tuition Fee
    AUD 30,832  / year
    Next Intake 10-Mar-2025

    Bachelor of Social Work


    The Bachelor of Social Work is an entry-level, professionally accredited qualification to practise as a social worker. This high job growth area offers a variety of careers in client service roles, service management, research, strategy and policy development. The course prepares students to work in a diverse range of fields including health and mental health, child and family welfare, cross-cultural work and work with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, youth work, homelessness, domestic and family violence, disability, drug and alcohol, community development, and advocacy.

    Underpinned by core principles of social justice and human rights, the course engages students in contemporary anti-oppressive, decolonised and trauma-informed approaches to social work practice. 

    Core units within the course cover essential theories, methods and skills for social work practice with individuals, families, groups and communities. These are complemented by foundational studies in Indigenous world views, sociology, politics, human development and social research.

    An elective stream provides opportunity for students to pursue their interests and develop knowledge in a range of disciplines, and an optional embedded Honours program is available for eligible students interested in research and pathways to further postgraduate studies.  Note: Eligible students who are interested in undertaking the Honours program should consult the Bachelor of Social Work Course Coordinator prior to enrolling in elective units.

    Please note: All students, including those enrolled online, are required to participate in on-campus learning for a minimum of 20 days/150hrs over the duration of the course. This requirement is stipulated by the Australian Social Work Education and Accreditation Standards (ASWEAS). On-campus enrolled students meet this minimum requirement by participating in four units with compulsory attendance. Online students meet this requirement by attending compulsory residential schools conducted at the Gold Coast campus. Units with compulsory participation and on-campus residential schools are identified in the course structure section below (‘note 2’). Students should also refer to the enrolment information for these units.


    Step into uni study

    You can apply for entry to the Undergraduate Certificate in Trade and Customs with a high school certificate, a Certificate III (or higher), a Tertiary Preparation Certificate or relevant work experience.

    Build to your bachelor's degree

    The course provides a pathway into the Bachelor of Border Management. You study four subjects from that degree - so when you transition into it, you'll receive credit for the subjects you've already completed in your certificate.

    Learn from experts

    This customs course is delivered by industry experts and academics at Charles Sturt's Centre for Customs and Excise Studies - the world's leading provider of training, education and research in the areas of customs, excise and border management.


    Entry Requirements

    To be eligible to receive the Bachelor of Social Work, students must complete the equivalent of 32 units (384 credit points), comprising:

    • 24 core units (336 credit points), and
    • 4 electives (48 credit points)

    Honours Pathway

    Students who have completed the first 16 units (192 credit points) listed in the recommended course progression of the Bachelor of Social Work with a GPA of at least 5.0 will be invited to apply for consideration for transfer to the Bachelor of Social Work (Honours).

    Professional Experience Learning / Field Education

    This course includes professional experience learning via field education. Pre-requisites to meet national and state-based regulatory requirements, as detailed on Faculty of Health Professional Experience Field Education page must be met prior to attending professional experience placement. All professional experience learning hours must be completed and professional behaviour and conduct must be demonstrated.

    Inherent Requirements apply to this course as defined on the Student Equity & Inclusion website. If you have a disability or health condition which may impact on your ability to meet these requirements please refer to the Student Equity & Inclusion website for further information and contact details.

    English Program Requirements

    English language requirements apply to International applicants and other applicants whose previous study was undertaken in a language other than English. The minimum English language requirements for such applicants for entry to this course are as follows

    Overall Score7.0 minimum in all bands


    With a master's degree in primary education, you'll graduate qualified to teach children from kindergarten to Year 6 in government and non-government schools, and you may go on to pursue leadership roles such as lead teacher, assistant principal and principal. This postgraduate degree provides a distinct advantage in the job market and lays a strong foundation for future professional development.

    • When you graduate, you'll be ready to make your mark in careers such as:

    Fee Information

    +estimated annual tuition fee for a full-time study load

    Plus Student Services and Amenities fee
    Scholarships and financial aid available if eligible

    Tuition Fee

    AUD 30,832 

    How to Apply

    The process to apply to study with us is simple, just follow these steps. 

    Step 1: Choose your course

    Choose a course from the list of courses available to international students. Each course lists the fees for the course for that year. 

    Make sure you change the search filter to 'international'. This will ensure courses available for international students to study will display.

    Step 2: Check the entry requirements and application dates

    All of your course entry requirements (academic and English) can be found online.

    If you have not reached the level required for entry to your chosen course, there are other pathways you can follow.

    Higher Education Application Dates

    Semester 3 2023 Semester 1 2024 Semester 2 2024 Semester 3 2024

    Last date to submit offshore applications 

    15 October 2023 22 January 2024 20 May 2024 23 September 2024

    Last date to submit onshore applications 

    24 October 2023 26 February 2024 1 July 2024 28 October 2024

    Last date to submit applications for course changes/transfers 

    29 October 2023 26 February 2024 1 July 2024 28 October 2024
    Orientation week commences 30 October 2023 26 February 2024 1 July 2024 28 October 2024

    Teaching commences

    6 November 2023 4 March 2024 8 July 2024 4 November 2024
    Census date 27 November 2023 24 March 2024 29 July 2024 25 November 2024

    TAFE Application Dates

    Semester 1 2024 Semester 2 2024
    Last date to submit offshore applications  20 November 2023 17 June 2024
    Last date to submit onshore applications  22 December 2023 24 June 2024
    Teaching commences 1 January 2024 1 July 2024
    Census date 11 March 2024 11 August 2024

    CDU International College

    Semester 3 2023 Semester 1 2024 Semester 2 2024 Semester 3 2024

    Last date to submit offshore applications 

    25 October 2023 22 January 2024 20 May 2024 23 September 2024

    Last date to submit onshore applications 

    1 November 2023 26 February 2024 1 July 2024 28 October 2024

    Teaching commences

    6 November 2023 4 March 2024 8 July 2024 4 November 2024
    Census date 27 November 2023 24 March 2024 29 July 2024 25 November 2024
    Step 3: Apply online or through an agent

    Applications must be submitted online through our application portal. You’ll need a valid email address to create your online account. Once you have started your application, you will be able to save it and resume it later. There is no application fee when you apply online. 

    You can lodge a direct application. However, there may be restrictions on your geographic location. If you are not able to submit a direct application via the application portal, then apply through one of our registered agents.

    Option 1: Direct

    Submit your application to study at CDU via the online portal.

    Option 2: Agent

    We have authorised representatives in many countries, and you may use their services to assist you in the application process. Education agents are generally able to help you with your visa application as well as your university application.

    Please select your country of nationality to find our other overseas or external representatives.

    When applying for your course, ensure that your application form is completed as an incomplete application may delay the application process. You’ll also need to provide and label correctly all the required documentation below:

    1. Passport copy showing all relevant information
    2. Proof of English language proficiency test
    3. A well-written Statement of Purpose (Single) or Statement of Purpose (Family)
    4. Certified copies of all academic transcripts, award certificates including grading systems information and English translations (whenever applicable)
    5. Resume
    6. Other supporting documents.


    We offer an exciting and generous range of scholarships to support international students coming to study at CDU. More information on available international scholarships can be found on our international student scholarship page.

    Apply for Credit, Advanced Standing or Recognition of Prior Learning (RLP) (if applicable)

    Please indicate in your application if you will be applying for advanced standing based on previous studies and submit the following documents:

    • Certified academic transcripts of your previous study along with unit outlines (and certified English translation, if required). 
    • Completed HE113 Application for Exemption form.

    View more details about Advanced standing at CDU.

    The University may ask for further documentation if required at any time of the application process. Once your application has been submitted, you will receive a confirmation email with a reference number which will allow you to track the status of your application. Remember to include this reference number in all correspondences with the University about your application.

    Certifying documents

    What is a certified document?

    A certified document is a copy of an original document that a qualified person has cited and confirmed as correct and legitimate. When you need a document to be certified, you must have both the copy and the original with you.

    Who can certify my documents?

    The person who certifies your document/s must be contactable by telephone during normal working hours.

    Your documents must be certified by one of the following authorised officers:

    • Any CDU staff member
    • Any manager-level staff or higher from the Institution the academic document has come from
    • The official records department of the Institution that initially issued the document/s
    • An Australian overseas diplomatic mission and an Australian Education Centre
    • The Universities Admission Centre (UAC)
    • A Justice of the Peace (JP)/Notary with a registration number
    • An accountant - must be a member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia, or the Australian Association of Taxation and Management Accountants or be a Registered Tax Agent
    • A CDU-registered international agent
    • A bank manager, but not a manager of a bank travel centre
    • A credit union branch manager
    • A commissioner for declarations
    • A barrister, solicitor or patent attorney
    • A police officer in charge of a police station, or of the rank of sergeant and above
    • A postal manager
    • A Principal of an Australian secondary college, high school or primary school
    • A medical practitioner

    It is important to note that you (or immediate family members) cannot certify your documents, even if you or they belong to one of the categories listed above.

    How should the authorised officer certify each document?

    The certifying officer must print the following text on all pages of the copied document:

    'I certify this to be a true copy of the document shown and reported to me as the original.'

    They must also include their name, address, contact telephone number, profession or occupation or organisation, and the date, and then they must sign the document.

    The certifying officer should also include the official stamp or seal of the certifier's organisation on the copy if the organisation has such a stamp.

    In addition to the above, a Justice of the Peace/Notary must also print their registration number and provide details of the state in which they are registered.

    Documents certified by a Justice of the Peace without a registration number will not be accepted. To find a Justice of the Peace in your area, check the public register available online from the NSW Attorney-General's Department.

    Southern Cross University

    Bachelor of Social Work

    Southern Cross University

    [object Object]



    Similar Programs

    Other interesting programs for you

    Find More Programs